Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Moth Infestation!

Why is it that whenever we go away for a few weeks, we return to find our home filled with moths and my rice and bulgur teeming with white larvae?

I'm definitely guilty of keeping my grains and beans too long; on more than one occasion I've bought red lentils, only to find I've already got a whole bunch in the cupboard.

But that doesn't explain why things that lie dormant for months come to life while we're away! Is it the lack of air circulation, as doors and windows stay closed? Does the house get hot, providing the right incubation conditions? Does anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Put them in the fridge or freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am horrified that bulgar wheat, a good source of carbohydrates, would turn into protein! Hopefully not the bulgar imported from "bulk barn"? I suspect there were eggs already in the grain, and they decided to hatch, turn into larvae and eat their way out. And then they would turn into moths, which would flutter about and lay more eggs.
    I guess the thing to do is buy grains in small quantities. Freezing is a great idea, but who has space? then rinse well before cooking. I keep bulgar, quinoa, couscous, oats, etc. in glass jars with screw top lids.

    ReplyDelete